vendredi 23 août 2019

SFINAE detect if type is defined

I want to pick a specialization of a template when a certain type is defined.

I still cannot wrap my head around SFINAE :(. I might be close or I might be completely off. I tried different things and this is something, I at least hope to understand why it does not work (is_complete basically stolen from here):

#include <iostream>
#include <type_traits>

template <typename T, class = void>
struct is_complete : std::false_type {};

template <typename T> 
struct is_complete<T,decltype(void(sizeof(T)))> : std::true_type {};

// this should be called if foo is not defined
void test() { std::cout << "test base\n"; }

// forward declare foo
struct foo;

// this should be called if foo is defined    
template <typename T>
std::enable_if<is_complete<foo>::value,void> test() {
  foo::bar();
}

// this is either defined or not
struct foo{
  static void bar() { std::cout << "foo bar\n"; }
};

int main(){
  test();
}

With gcc 4.8 (-std=c++11) i get :

if_type_defined.cpp: In instantiation of ‘struct is_complete<foo>’:
if_type_defined.cpp:16:32:   required from here
if_type_defined.cpp:8:42: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘foo’
 struct is_complete<T,decltype(void(sizeof(T)))> : std::true_type {};
                                          ^
if_type_defined.cpp:8:42: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘foo’
if_type_defined.cpp: In function ‘std::enable_if<true, void> test()’:
if_type_defined.cpp:17:3: error: incomplete type ‘foo’ used in nested name specifier
   foo::bar();
   ^

I think I know more or less what is wrong: foo does not depend on T, hence no substitution needed to get foo and I get a hard error instead of Not An Error. Next I tried to use a helper along the line of

template <typename T>
struct make_foo_dependent { 
   using type = foo;
};

and tried to use that inside the enable_if instead of foo directly. However, this just added more errors and I didnt include it here, because I am afraid this is also going in the wrong direction.

How can I choose what function to call depending on whether foo is defined? If foo is not defined, the code using foo should not issue a hard error, but simply be ignored by the compiler.

PS: Lots has changed with respect to SFINAE, and I find it hard to find ressources that restrict themself to C++11, where things seem to be a bit more hairy than in newer standards.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire